Wednesday 12 July 2017

Food Obsession - Asian Style

Tauhu Teloh from Haji Maimunah on Jalan Pisang (literally Banana Road)


As I write this, I am rolling around on a (very) full belly, having eaten yet another amazing meal. This time, with my cousins who are sweethearts and a source of comfort for me. I decide that I am unable to eat anymore, but always find space for more delicious food that, of course, I haven't yet tried. This time we feast at Haji Maimunah on Jalan Pisang (which means banana road by the way, a former one Michelin star food court with unbelievably lemak (meaning coconutty but also meaning tasty) curries, saucy fried chicken and spicy beef.

In Asia, the way to catch up with someone is to makan - eat. It is the breaking of the bread, a sharing of space with a brethren, a loved one, that shows that you care and want to be with them. Eating has always been the favourite past time of South East Asians as a way to be sociable and feel loved.

And today, that is what I felt. Lots of love and lots of care. It is fabulous catching up with family, and I feel very blessed to be a part of a big one. Once, I hated the idea of having a big family, of interference, of loud comments on issues that I felt weren't their business. But with age, I realise that they are a source of comfort, a source of strength and support. When I am at a loss of what to do, I go to them for advice, they provide me with a point of view that no others will have because they are family. They will understand how the family will respond. They are practical and kind.

I return to the States the day after tomorrow. It is a hard journey to make. I am not sure why this journey is more poignant, more difficult to make than others. The lure of adventure, of pastures new is less attractive. Perhaps it is a reminder of our mortality as we grow older. We mourn the death of a cousin, their sister, who died last year at 53. Young and all too soon. The original makan queen, we are 4 even now - always reminded of her wherever we go. My parents are frailer, slower and less steady. I could give it all up for the comfort of the home.

Still. Needs must and the means to return has not presented itself. I still love my life and lifestyle in California. The road ahead will present itself, I believe if I really want it. And if it doesn't, there is a reason. Forcing the issue doesn't help. In the meantime, life is a journey and I am going along for the ride.

For the moment, I am rubbing my full, full belly praying for a salad.

Lots of love from
Sunny Singapore xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment